Organization: Green Umbrella
Green Umbrella, a sustainability alliance located in the Greater Cincinnati region, is seeking a contractor to help school food service programs establish Share Tables across the region. The Share Table Ambassador will work alongside Green Umbrella staff and members to engage key stakeholders in implementing share tables, measuring their impacts, and establishing resources to sustain share tables in the region.
About Green Umbrella:
Green Umbrella is the leading alliance working to maximize the environmental sustainability of Greater Cincinnati. We’re driving collaboration to fuel measurable improvements in eight key areas of sustainability. Our vision is to have the region recognized as one of the top 10 most sustainable metro areas in the nation by 2020.
This is a position that requires strong people skills and creative, flexible thinking for problem solving. Specific preferred skills and experience include:
· Ability to engage diverse partners, including school officials, kitchen staff, students, teachers, parents, public health officials, and pantries
· Knowledge and/or experience in food safety & public health, school food service, perishable food recovery and distribution, and emergency food provisioning
· Demonstrated ability convening and facilitating meetings
· Experience organizing a self-sustaining network
· Ability to understand diverse concerns and find mutually satisfactory solutions
· Ability to organize and manage data collection and analysis
· Effective communication, including:
o Explaining what share tables are (outreach, engagement)
o Maintaining regular communications among peer-to-peer network
o Writing reports
o Developing short facts sheets and tool kits
o Providing public presentations to students, administrators, and parents
About the Position:
As a contract position, the times and methods of work will be at the consultant’s discretion. The Share Table Ambassador will work with the Director of the Greater Cincinnati Regional Food Policy Council and Green Umbrella Action Team members to produce the following deliverables:
· Mapping of at least 12 existing share table schools in the Greater Cincinnati region on http://www.foodrescue.net/.
· Establishment of share tables at 12 additional schools, also documented on http://www.foodrescue.net/.
· Documenting percentage reduction of food wasted, number of students receiving additional food, pounds of food donated to food recovery partners, and C02e saved using EPA audit and Food Rescue Tracker.
· Final report on effective practices for share tables in the Green Umbrella region, lessons learned from initiatives in the region (including food waste impacts and reasons for success/failures), and a toolkit for maintaining the established network and on-boarding new schools.
· Produce reports and messaging for schools to communicate their share table accomplishments.
Significant regional travel may be required.
The contractor is expected to commit to completing all deliverables within 16 months of hiring.
· In collaboration with area partners, reach out to school official and kitchen managers to educate them on share tables and to identify schools interested in formalizing a share table policy in their cafeteria.
· Coordinate with appropriate public health officials, parents, and pantries to establish mutually agreeable, sustainable share table policies.
· Document effective, food-safe practices for collecting and redistributing food in K-12 schools.
· Conduct pre- and post-program implementation audits to estimate the impact of the share table programs on food waste prevention and recovery.
· Identify and highlight schools that are already doing share tables.
· Build regional knowledge of effective practices for establishing and maintaining share tables at K-12 schools.
· Build a peer-to-peer network that can develop materials and strategies for continuing expansion and improvement of share tables once the STA’s contract ends.
· Understand barriers to establishing share tables and finding solutions, which may include issues such as food safety concerns, refrigeration infrastructure, transportation, and establishing relationships with a pantry.
Please submit a cover letter (with proposed contract price and budget breakdown) and resume as one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Share Table Ambassador” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted until April 4, 2018. No phone calls please.