Organization: Green Umbrella
Green Umbrella, a sustainability alliance located in the Greater Cincinnati region, is seeking a Communications & Events Intern to work approximately 30 hours per week starting in August and lasting through February, with the possibility for an extension. The Communications & Events Intern will work closely with the Communications & Membership Coordinator to produce and manage Green Umbrella’s communications materials that reach a broad public audience, as well as provide support for key organizational events. This is a paid internship.
About Green Umbrella: Green Umbrella is the leading alliance working to maximize the environmental sustainability of Greater Cincinnati. We’re driving collaboration to fuel measurable improvements in eight key areas of sustainability. Our vision is to have the region recognized as one of the top 10 most sustainable metro areas in the nation by 2020.
Qualifications: Green Umbrella is seeking motivated and responsible college/graduate students (or recent graduates) with an interest in communications and event planning/management as well as a passion for environmental sustainability. The position requires excellent organizational, written and verbal communications skills, a strong work ethic, attention to detail and proven record of meeting deadlines. Previous project management, writing, graphic design, meeting or event planning experience and familiarity with WordPress is a plus. Candidates should be comfortable working independently as well as with a supervisor.
About the Position: Green Umbrella’s internships provide a chance to learn more about both the nonprofit sector and environmental sustainability efforts within the Greater Cincinnati region. Interns work alongside staff to support the many projects and initiatives undertaken by our Action Teams that will help our region become more sustainable through collaborative efforts. This is a paid internship with an hourly rate of $10.00. The intern will work on average 30 hours per week throughout the duration of the assignment. The intern will work out of the Green Umbrella office in the Madisonville neighborhood in Cincinnati, Ohio. There may be some evening and weekend hours required, dependent upon Green Umbrella’s event calendar.
• Research, identify and draft appropriate content for bi-weekly e-newsletter
• Develop and promote timely content on Green Umbrella’s social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter)
• Research, identify and create appropriate content for events to post to Green Umbrella calendar
• Collect and analyze data on the effectiveness of Green Umbrella’s external communications
• Other long-term communications projects as assigned
Event Support responsibilities:
• Assist in planning and management of details for the following Green Umbrella events:
• Midwest Regional Sustainability Summit (May 1) o Great Outdoor Weekend (September 28 & 29) o Green Drinks (first Thursday of the month, 5:30-7:00 pm) o Other events as needed
• Update content on event websites for Great Outdoor Weekend and Midwest Regional Sustainability Summit
• Manage registration before event, coordinate registration communications
• Support sponsor management and benefit fulfillment
• Pursue and manage promotion of event through mass email, social media
• Develop and implement evaluation methods for events
• Follow-up with event attendees as necessary (add to database, solicit feedback, etc.)
• “Table” at public events to represent Green Umbrella
• Other support activities as assigned
• Answer Green Umbrella office phones
• Data entry for email database as needed
• Note taking at Green Umbrella Action Team meetings when necessary To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume (with applicable experience) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications & Events Internship” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; please refer to https://greenumbrella.org/Green-Jobs to stay updated. No phone calls please.