Organization: Produce Perks
Produce Perks is a regional nonprofit that pioneers solutions to address inequities within our food system. Our work increases access and affordability of healthy foods, supports farmers and strengthens local economies - in our most underserved communities.
Community Champion Coordinator
This position will provide coordination of the Community Champion Program. The goal of the position is to increase the # of SNAP recipients shopping at farmers’ markets and retail locations, participating in the Produce Perks program, through strategic outreach, engagement, and education. The Community Champion Coordinator will report directly to the Executive Director.
**Community Champions are community members who receive SNAP benefits and are frequent farmers’ market shoppers. Community Champions will promote the Produce Perks program amongst their neighbors; encourage and educate their neighbors on shopping at farmers’ markets; and provide guidance on how to utilize Produce Perks incentives. Community Champions will receive a monthly stipend redeemable for produce at any food access point participating in Produce Perks.
● Work with partner organizations (including farmers’ markets) to recruit and identify Community Champions (volunteers)
● Organize and train Community Champions within designated neighborhoods
● Provide on-going technical assistance and support for Community Champions
● Conduct outreach activities to promote the Produce Perks Program
● Coordinate volunteer activities (peer-to-peer/door-to-door promotion, etc…)
● Develop evaluation measures and submit monthly reports
● Develop promotional materials (as needed and in conjunction with Community Champions)
● Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings
● Passion for farmers’ markets, healthy food, and healthy living
● Passion for addressing issues of equity, hunger, and social capital
● Familiarity with Greater Cincinnati communities; particular emphasis on neighborhoods of farmers’ markets and retail sites
● Experience with community and grassroots organizing
● Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to speak in front of small groups and public settings
● Strong interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to work with diverse populations
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and social media
● Highly motivated, creative person with strong attention to detail and ability to work independently
● Flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
● Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
● Must be 18 years of age or older
**Strong candidates will have experience shopping at farmers’ markets, have a history of participation with federal food assistance programs such as SNAP or WIC, and are longtime residents of Cincinnati.
The Coordinator will work with the Community Champions (CCs) to organize and track neighborhood engagement and individual participation in the Produce Perks program (zip codes, Cincinnati Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA) sites, Community Council meetings, etc). The Coordinator will serve as the point of contact for the designated CCs, distribute promotional materials, and provide training and on-going techincal assistance. The Coordinator will also work in collaboration with our Market Manager Coordinator and participating farmers’ market managers.
● The Coordinator needs to have the skills to coordinate and train approximately 10-20 volunteers (CCs).
● The Coordinator needs to have a flexible schedule based on outreach needs and farmers’ market hours, including evenings (and weekends).
● Ability to work collaboratively in a small team setting
Identifying Community Champions:
● Produce Perks Midwest (PPM) will work directly with OH Jobs & Family Services to create volunteer opportunities for individuals receiving SNAP. Primary volunteer opportunities will be to serve as CCs within their designated communities. Volunteers will report to the CC Coordinator.
● Additionally, we will work with our participating farmers’ markets and community partners to identify additional CCs within their specific neighborhoods who are frequent customers of both the market and the PP program. The CC will promote the PP program throughout the Market neighborhood(s) and enlist new customers to the market. Produce Perks will provide stipends that can be redeemed for produce at any participating food access point within the PP program (no match required). Promotional materials and technical assistance will be provided for the CC.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references as one PDF attachment by March 27, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please title email subject line: CommunityChampion_[first name][last name]
No phone calls please.