Organization: Metroparks of Butler County
Closing Date: 4:00 p.m., June 30, 2017
Title: Natural Resource Technician
GRADE: 8.00 (part-time, year-round,) Employment in this position is part-time and may require an irregular work schedule including weekends, and holidays depending on the season of the year or as business conditions warrant.
STATUS: Regular, Non-Exempt.
REPORTS TO: Environmental Projects Manager or as assigned
GENERAL DUTIES: Under the supervision of the Environmental Projects Manager performs a variety of Land Stewardship duties and manual labor tasks related to the maintenance and improvement of various natural resources including land, water, and recreational areas.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
1. Assists with conservation, wildlife management, and land stewardship activities in assigned areas.
2. Assist with prescribed fires, invasive plant control, and nuisance wildlife as directed.
3. Use and maintain equipment including chain saws, pole saws, blowers, brush cutters, back pack sprayers, skid sprayers, tractors, four wheel drive utility vehicles, skid steers, track loaders, and attachments in a safe and professional manner.
4. Use and maintain hand tools including but not limited to pruners, trimmers, shovels, rakes, hammers, paint brushes, rollers and cleaning equipment including brooms, mops, and vacuum cleaners.
5. Aids in general public programming and special events as assigned.
6. Aids in maintenance duties including, but are not limited to: litter pick up, landscape development and upkeep, cleaning and maintenance of park facilities and public areas, mowing and trimming around park grounds as needed, applying pesticides and fertilizers, shoveling and plowing snow, and assisting with parking and crowd control for special events and programs.
7. Prepares and maintains facilities and equipment for use by performing duties such as cleaning, painting, tightening, etc. or assigned reservable areas, recreational equipment, shelters, and park grounds adjacent to reservable spaces, common areas, storage rooms, kitchen areas and restrooms.
8. Operates licensed and non-licensed motor vehicles including watercraft, snow plows, mowers, and other equipment to accomplish assigned tasks.
9. Meets and deals with the public in a professional, helpful and pleasant manner. Acts as a good-will ambassador for the MetroParks at all times. Maintains a professional, cooperative working relationship with other staff members.
10. Maintains accurate records of tasks performed: including but not limited to: time sheets, vehicle mileage, equipment usage, etc.
11. Follows Board policies in Personnel Policy Manual.
12. Maintains confidentiality on sensitive issues and nonpublic records.
13. Other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or GED; minimum of 18 years of age at the time of employment. At least 2 years of natural resource or grounds maintenance experience with a park agency, landscape or grounds maintenance company, or similar organization is preferred for this position.
2. Ability to deal tactfully with the general public and co-workers as well as the ability to communicate effectively with fellow employees and the visiting public;
3. Knowledge of and ability to operate common maintenance equipment, hand tools, recreational equipment.
4. The ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner is all also required for this position.
5. Availability for a flexible and intermittent work schedule and ability to work independently and take initiative when required are necessary for candidates for employment and employees currently working under the provisions of this position description.
6. Basic computer and software competency, which includes use of email, spreadsheets, word processing and PowerPoint required.
7. General good health and ability to perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
8. Ability to work in all outside weather conditions; wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold (below 32 F degrees) and extreme heat (above 90 F degrees). Ability to work around various outdoor contaminants, such as pesticides, herbicides, and airborne and plant allergens. Some work assignments and tasks will require exposure to and work in inclement weather conditions
9. Good character with no history of serious criminal activity (felony convictions) is required of all persons who are candidates for employment or employees currently working under the provisions of this position description.
10. A valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter. Candidates for employment may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations on their driving record at the time of employment.
Salary: $12.50 to $15.60 per hour depending on level of experience.
Deliver in person or mail completed application to:
MetroParks of Butler County
2051 Timberman Road
Hamilton, OH 45013
Attn: Amy Pellman
Or email ALL documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 4:00 p.m., June 30, 2017. To be considered for the position, a completed application must be received by this date.
MetroParks of Butler County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.