Organization: Sustainergy Coop
Position: Insulation Technician
Reports To: Lead Insulation Installer
As the Insulation installer, this position is primarily responsible for ensuring that residential weatherization projects are completed with the highest quality work. This person will insulate residential buildings.
The Insulation Installer will have the opportunity to become a worker-owners and be part of Sustainergy’s yearly profit. While on the path to becoming a worker-owner of Sustainergy Cooperative, this position is responsible for advancing the goals of the company and may include doing some sales.
The Insulation Installer responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following: (Training will be provided)
- Drive truck
- Complete the retrofitting work for single family residential buildings; taking responsibility for safety, craftsmanship, and quality.
- Help Lead Insulation Installer to ensure the efficient and timely completion of work.
- Interact with potential clients to sell Sustainergy’s services.
- Scan job site and look or additional opportunities for homeowners (duct work, retrofit kits,…)
- Be Sustainergy’s strongest advocate to the public and potential clients not only by performing exceptional work, but also in personal interactions with customers.
- Be willing to receive ongoing training.
- Make sure that clients’ property are properly covered and cleaned during the install.
- Proper maintenance and upkeep of company tools and equipment.
- Maintain a direct line of communication with all members of the staff.
- Search for equipment opportunities and consider safety and cost for Sustainergy's equipment
- Walk throughs at the end of the job
- Daily report
- Do basic job cost analysis
Future opportunities for growth
- Become co-owner of the worker co-op business (After 6 months)
- Lead Installation technician
- Certification in Mold Remediation
- Training and certification in various industry standards (ex. BPI, ASHRAE, etc.)
- Mechanical and equipment repair, upkeep, and maintenance
- Financial literacy
- Demonstrated some level of skills and knowledge in construction.
- Ability to follow direction.
- Basic leadership skills.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Ability to maintain personal composure, tactfully handle difficult situations, and interpret questions correctly; ability to behave in a friendly, understanding, helpful, and professional manner with clients and other workers.
- Flexibility, willingness, and ability to perform some sales work, encouraged, but not required.
- Interested in eventually becoming an owner of the business and taking responsibility for its success.
Work Experience and Certification
- Valid Driver’s License.
- With some construction or insulation experience.
- OSHA 10 hr. certified, preferred, but not required
- High School Diploma or GED, preferred, but not required
- Ability to use company equipment, tools, and materials including ladders, hand tools, carpenter’s tools, diagnostic/testing equipment and tools, drafting equipment, and others; ability to get to and from work.
- Ability to exert physical effort in light to moderate work involving lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling; ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl; ability to climb and balance.
In addition to the above requirements, any Lead Insulation Installer or Insulation installer hired for the position to be expected to study and understand the business’ model.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration soon or contact Flequer Vera at 513.295.7241.
It goes without saying that our economy showers the privileged few with unfathomable quantities of wealth and power. In the quest for ever-increasing profits, workers are paid as little as possible, entire communities are laid off, and the ecosystem is pushed beyond its limits. Today, the rules of this economy favor a select few. It’s time to create an economy that benefits us all.
An opportunity awaits us. Collaboration is the new competition. Working cooperatively, we, the workers, can together build a business that serves our interests because we’re the shareholders. We own it. We make the rules that benefit us, our communities, and our ecosystem.
Sustainergy Cooperative is part of a movement to do just this in partnership with the Cincinnati Union Coop Initiative (CUCI) and many other organizations around the country. Sustainergy® is a Mondragon-inspired, employee-owned energy efficiency and indoor air quality company specializing in performing energy-efficiency retrofits for residential buildings. Sustainergy’s work focuses on performing whole house insulation, energy analysis, fixing air drafts on the building envelop, mold remediation, sound attenuation and crawl space encapsulation to maximize energy efficiency, minimize energy costs and improve indoor air quality.