Organization: Montgomery Farmers Market
The Montgomery Farmers Market seeks an independent and self-motivated individual as a Market Manager for the 2019 Market season. Our thriving market will be entering its 10th season. The vibrant market was established as a project in the City of Montgomery Citizens’ Leadership Academy in 2010 and continues with the leadership of additional volunteers. The market is held in the parking lot of the Montgomery Elementary School, 9609 Montgomery Road, Montgomery, Ohio. Our market now has approximately 30 vendors and 1,500 shoppers during peak Saturdays in the summer season. Please visit our website at http://montgomeryfarmersmarket.org/ for more information about the market.
If interested please send an e-mail to MFM Board Hiring Committee (MontFarmersMkt@gmail.com). This is an outstanding opportunity for someone with available Saturdays and an interest in community Farmers’ Markets.
● Hours: Saturdays, 8am – 1pm, May through October, and additional hours, as needed and approved by a Board member, for scheduling and preparation. Also attend board meetings 1 week day evening per month from 5:30 PM until 7:00 PM
● Compensation: $15/hour for an estimated 5-7 hours per week for 28 weeks. (Approximately 175 hours for the season). Workers Compensation coverage will be purchased in case of injury related to job duties.
● Requirements: reliable transportation, ability to lift 30 lbs, ability to communicate with vendors and customers effectively, problem solving skills, ability to manage people and conflicts, ability to use social media, word, excel, google drive, and other basic computer skills, active email account and cell phone.
○ Run day-to-day operations of market on Saturdays, including setting up and tearing down Manager’s Tent, Business Booth, and Musician’s Tent, coordinating vendor set up, setting up water station and trash cans, and stowing all supplies in the storage shed at the end of the market day.
○ Operate the credit card machine during the market and perform check out duties each week for the market’s SNAP/Credit Card program, including reimbursing vendors for voucher redeemed by market customers, writing receipts, and sending information to the board.
○ Confirm with all vendors which vendors will be at market each Saturday. This may be done at market the previous Saturday, or by phone or email before Wednesday.
○ Work with the board to develop a market layout for the season and to modify the layout as needed each week to adjust for vendor absences.
○ Assist with recruitment of new vendors, crafters, musicians, and food trucks to fill open spots.
○ Supervise vendors for setup/teardown and storage of all market signs, tents, seating and tables, traffic cones, and trash containers.
○ During the market, answer questions, assist vendors, manage a cash box and provide change, hand out literature, sign up customers for our newsletter, sell market items, and be helpful.
○ Help Montgomery Farmers’ Market continue its growth as a successful, thriving market with an outstanding reputation among current and potential vendors, shoppers, and area businesses.
○ Work with the board to recruit volunteers to assist the Market Manager to accomplish the above tasks.
○ May choose to assist the board with updating social media accounts, updating the website and newsletter, and communicating necessary information to vendors.
○ Other assistance to board members as needed/requested. As additional duties arise, Market Manager may be asked to participate, and will be compensated at the same rate.