Organization: UC | Sustainability
The Office of Sustainability is within the Department of Planning + Design + Construction with links to Facilities Management and Central Utilities. The staff includes one full-time Sustainability Coordinator, a full-time Assistant Sustainability Coordinator and a team of student workers that are known as Sustainability Advocates. The Office of Sustainability facilitates a diversity of programs including the UC Bike Kitchen, Bike Share, UC Garden, Athletics and Special Event Recycling, Re*Use Market, Annual Bike Show, Uptown Waste Diversion, and Operation Move-In Recycle. The Office of Sustainability also hosts and facilitates co-curricular educational opportunities such as the sustainability film, lecture, tour and workshop series, and organizes more proactive events such as city-wide clean ups and community bike rides. Through providing a diversity of programs that seek to educate, engage, and empower, the Office strives to enhance and create a culture of sustainability at the University.
Sustainability Advocate Responsibilities
1. Recycling during major UC events (athletic, move-in, etc)
2. Attendance at weekly Sustainability Advocate meetings
3. Event staff support (films, lectures, workshops, tours)
4. Outreach (tabling, event/program promotion, attending community meetings)
5. Site (Bike Kitchen, Soiled Hands Learning Garden) and equipment (recycling containers, bikes, tools) maintenance
6. Tasks as assigned by the Office of Sustainability
Sustainability Advocate Expectations
1. Maintain regular and consistent communication with Office of Sustainability and other Sustainability Advocates concerning scheduling, tasks, absences, project or site incidents, etc. Email and groupme are the preferred modes of communication for the Office of Sustainability. It is your responsibility to check and, when necessary, reply promptly to any emails or messages on groupme.
2. Complete tasks as assigned.
3. Ask for assistance as needed – information, resources, etc.
4. Familiarity with Office of Sustainability programming (films, workshops, volunteer opportunities, etc) and services (Zipcar, Bearcat Bikeshare, etc).
5. Maintain professional communication when representing the Office of Sustainability (including internal meetings and communications).
6. Take initiative to increase the capacity and effectiveness of sustainability at UC by proposing projects, events, and new processes.
7. Work at least 2 shifts a week. One of these can be the weekly Sustainability Advocate meeting.
To apply: email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter