Organization: Gorman Heritage Farm, 10052 Reading Rd. Evendale, OH
Duration: May 28—August 10, 2018
Hours: 40 hours per week; 8:00am – 4:00pm M-F.
Compensation: $1,300 stipend
Responsible to: Senior Camp Counselors, Camp Coordinator, Education Coordinator & Director of Education
Contact: Nicole Gunderman, Director of Education, email@example.com
General and Specific Responsibilities:
● Assist Senior Counselors in guiding a group of 6-11 campers safely around the farm, knowing the location of all of your campers during camp hours
● Work with Senior Counselors in planning and carrying out of camp programs, such as leading small and large group activities, supervising campers’ participation in structured activities, and being an active part of all activities (i.e. animal interactions, lunchtime games, egg collecting, produce harvesting)
● Interact appropriately with campers in a variety of situations using positive behavior-management techniques, including: enthusiasm, patience, sensitivity, a sense of humor, and self-control
● Work with Senior Counselors to guide the Counselors-in-Training (13-15 years old) in your group
● Work with other camp staff to complete morning set-up and afternoon clean-up of camp areas
● Required attendance at the scheduled training sessions and after-camp staff meetings.
● Interns will gain valuable experience in farm-based environmental education by working alongside senior counselor staff to teach campers from a variety of backgrounds and ages (4-15 years), with opportunities to lead activities and assist in planning camp activities.
● Interns will learn about and then guide campers through activities focused on daily farm and garden chores using family scale methods, farm animal care, hands-on nature exploration, cooking and food preparation, and camp favorites like songs, games, and crafts.
● Interns will gain experience working in a cooperative, supportive, and educational working environment. There will be opportunities to share one’s own skills and experiences with camp staff and other local organizations.
● Interns will participate in workshops and projects with other counselors to gain a better understanding of life on a working farm, local/sustainable agriculture and environmental education.
● Interns receive one week of paid training. Camp Training Week is May 28th through June 1st. There will also be a paid team building activity/trip during the week of July 4th. Desired Qualifications and Experience:
● Applicants must be at least 16 years of age by May 24th (required)
● Previous experience working with children, camp or animals is strongly preferred
● An ability to work as a member of a team and also work independently, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, creativity, open-mindedness, and flexibility
● Demonstrated interest or special skills in agriculture, sustainability, gardening, animal care, cooking, arts and crafts, construction/building, working with children and/or education
Description of Site: Gorman Heritage Farm is a 122-acre not-for-profit, educational, historical working farm in the Village of Evendale, just north of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Gorman Heritage Farm promotes:
● hands-on interactions with a variety of animals, gardens and crop fields both for production and education
● engaging farm experiences celebrating the power of food and its connection to people, places, and the natural world
● values such as self-reliance, stewardship, service, and meaningful labor. Application
Procedure: https://form.jotform.com/73204630492148 We will begin reviewing applications Monday, January 9, 2017. Hiring deadline is ongoing, until positions are filled.