Organization: Enright Ridge Urban Ecovillage
Urban Earth Farms (UEF), est. 2009 in East Price Hill, Cincinnati is seeking a farmer with minimum 3 seasons experience in organic food production including safe food handling and food processing practices for a 20 hr./wk. position February thru November 2018.
The farmer will work in collaboration with an experienced farm administrator and the UEF committee of Enright Ridge Urban Ecovillage, (the sponsoring non-profit 501 C3 organization) to carry out our mission: Urban Earth Farms grows and shares food using earth-friendly practices, while fostering a sense of community, and providing education, to create an equitable and sustainable local food system.
Using a small rehabbed greenhouse and approximately a quarter acre of urban land, UEF serves its residential neighborhood with a CSA program that includes work/share members. A local job training program, agriculture student interns and volunteer service groups provide additional support labor. A recently acquired .4 acre plot is currently being developed to reach further into the diverse community.
Duties and responsibilities include:
Required education, experience and qualities:
- Work independently and in coordination with the farm administrator and the UEF committee to accomplish the goals of the program
- Grow quality food from seed starting to harvest and safe storage following organic principles
- Build & maintain healthy soil in greenhouse and several growing areas using IPM and compost development
- Grass cutting, weed management, and mulching as needed
- Manage and maintain water catchment and irrigation systems
- Maintain greenhouse infrastructure including propagation area, nursery, tool storage and storefront
- Maintain farm tools & equipment; including BCS walk-behind tractor with implements
- Maintain work schedule that accommodates workers in job training program, includes Saturday hours
- Participate in UEF special events, tours, workshops, training sessions when appropriate
- Strong work ethic and interest in growing food to serve the local community while protecting the resources from which the food comes
- Minimum 3 seasons experience in organic food production including safe food handling practices and processing produce for sale and storage
- Demonstrated understanding of Permaculture principles and ethics; Permaculture Design Certificate preferred
- Knowledge and experience with perennial fruits, berries, medicinal herbs, perennial systems
- Demonstrated ability to engage, mentor, and supervise volunteers, workshare partners, interns and job training workers to get the work done
Pay and benefits: Contract: $7,480/season, will receive 1099 for tax purposes. A full CSA share in-season. Farmer may develop and present workshops that showcase a particular food or farm interest, earning half the income from each workshop.
Please submit a resume of applicable experience with a cover letter that describes why farming, particularly urban farming, is important, desirable work for you. Include 3 current references with phone numbers
Submit word.doc attachments via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 15, 2017
Subject line: Farmer application attn: Suellyn