Organization: Bull's Run Nature Sanctuary & Arboretum
Bull's Run is 11 acres of woodland and prairie located at 3909 Rosedale Rd., Middletown, OH 45042. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsibilities: Build relationships with volunteers and community to implement environmental education programming and manage Bull’s Run woodland and prairie habitat.
- Prepare and present environmental education programs to children and adults
- Develop and implement seasonal Nature Tots Program (ages 6 months – 6 years)
- Present public tours of the spring wildflowers, summer prairie and occasional bird hikes
- Build outreach program to develop new programming with community and school partners
- Take lead on seasonal special events and projects
- Submit articles for quarterly newsletter
- Attend monthly Board meetings, submit reports on work and programs
Land Stewardship & Habitat Management:
- Recruit and maintain relationships with volunteers
- Lead removal of invasive species and transplanting native species to improve wildlife habitat
- General park maintenance and management tasks, including weeding, mulching, tree trimming, native landscaping projects and trail maintenance
- Including recruitment and oversight of volunteers to accomplish these tasks
- Coordinate with outside parties, such as the city or contractors, on projects as needed
- Maintain records of tasks completed and volunteer hours for grants
- Perform other related tasks as needed and assigned
Schedule: The Naturalist will work no more than 80 hours per month, which will fluctuate seasonally (including some weekends, evenings and holidays), with less program work during Summer months. Scheduling is flexible around other jobs and responsibilities. Hours may change over time due to program needs and available funding.
Required Skills: Ability to take initiative to work independently and in coordination with the board; possess a strong work ethic and a sincere interest in preserving SW Ohio ecosystems; general knowledge and interest in outdoors and natural resources.
Salary: Beginning at $13.00 per hour. Probationary performance evaluation after 6 months and annual evaluations thereafter, in which compensation will be discussed.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- B.A or B.S. degree, preferably in a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience teaching or working with children
- Volunteer management
- High level of self-motivation, flexibility, enthusiasm, willingness to learn and perform a variety of duties
- Working knowledge of computer software including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Work in an office and use a computer, phone, and other office equipment. Lift and carry displays or equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Possess a current, valid driver’s license and own insurance
- Physically able to work in extreme environmentally varied situations (cold, heat, humidity, hilly terrain)
Preferred, but not required:
- First Aid and CPR Certification
Submit a cover letter, resume & 3 current references with phone numbers via e-mail to email@example.com.
Deadline: Open until filled, applications will be reviewed beginning September 15, 2017