Organization: Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA)
About this position:
The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) has an immediate opening for a capable and motivated individual to join our team, contributing to outreach and promotion efforts to increase the organization’s impact. Under the supervision of the Communications Director, the Communications and Media Specialist will create and distribute publications, educational materials, emails, webpages, and social media. The successful candidate will join a team of bright and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering sustainable agriculture, family-scale farming, and the local food economy.
Please consider applying if you have significant communications experience and an understanding and passion for sustainable food and farming.
The Communications and Media Specialist will undertake communications and outreach on behalf of OEFFA’s educational and policy initiatives under the direction of the Communications Director, utilizing a diverse set of communications tools and channels. This is a full-time position based in OEFFA’s Columbus office but telework arrangements (hybrid or permanent) will be considered for exceptional candidates. The starting salary is $43,500 per year. Benefits include health insurance and paid time off.
- In coordination with program staff, develop and distribute content across a variety of platforms including social media, newsletters, email blasts, and press releases
- Maintain and update a list of media contacts and cultivate relationships with media
- Develop creative visual content for OEFFA social media channels, print materials, and emails
- Collaborate with the Communications Director to manage and monitor all OEFFA social media channels and content
- Incorporate updates and innovative design to assigned OEFFA webpages
- Collaborate with other staff to develop membership materials and campaigns to retain and expand OEFFA member base
- Assist with special events, tasks, and projects as needed
- Utilize strong and project management skills
- Provide excellent customer service and assistance to our members and constituents by ensuring information and assistance needs are met, and all communications work is handled in a professional manner
- Answer general phone lines and provide other general office support
- Help grow OEFFA’s membership
- Contribute to general fundraising event work
- Experience in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field
- Experience in writing and/or the production of several of the following: press releases, fliers, website (content), social media platforms, email listservs
- Demonstrated experience in electronic communication and familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud (including InDesign and Photoshop) or other design applications, WordPress, and databases and engagement platforms on a Windows-based operated system
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong copy-editing skills
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to providing equitable and inclusive outreach and communication
- Experience in effectively planning, managing, and carrying out multiple tasks and meeting deadlines
- Commitment to performing work with a high degree of accountability and consistent excellence with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time
- Passion about sustainable and organic agriculture, family farms, rural places, and equity and diversity in our food system
- Ability to work independently
- Experience with social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) at a professional level
- Experience with graphic design software (e.g., Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign)
- Basic understanding of WordPress content management system
The position is opened until filled. Interested candidates are advised to apply by December 5 to receive full consideration, although the position will stay open until filled. (If this posting is removed from the OEFFA website, we are no longer accepting applications.)
Your application should be addressed to Reilly Wright, Communications Director, and consists of these items: a cover letter, resume, writing sample (e.g., feature article, profile, or marketing email), example of your social media work, and contact information for three professional references (indicate relationship to you). In your cover letter please address how your experience and background meet the requirements of the position. Please combine these as a single PDF file and submit via email to CommunicationsJobs@oeffa.org and for the subject line use “Communications and Media Specialist.”
We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool, and all employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and organizational need. In the same way that biological diversity is foundational to the healthy agricultural systems we support, we recognize that diversity of people makes OEFFA healthier and more sustainable. As part of the application, we invite candidates to describe how their life experiences enrich the diversity of our organization.
More information can be found here.