Organization: Thriving Earth Farms
About this position:
Full Time position responsible for assisting in the production of food to further the vision of feeding the community in congruence with fostering healthy soil and carrying out responsible land stewardship.
The assistant farm manager helps shape the crop plan, trains and manages the team, and assists the overseeing and growing of vegetables and maintaining farm spaces with support from the farm manager.
About the farm
Thriving Earth Farms grows food on land inside the Agri Community of Aberlin Springs in Morrow, OH. The market garden is the flagship of the farm operation and supports the immediate community through a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) system, where each household receives a weekly share of produce throughout the CSA season. Farm practices include no-till/low till, focusing on soil health and biodiversity, diversity of crops, use of cover crops, no chemical use of any kind,
- The assistant farm manager is responsible for much of the day to day operations of the farm.
- This would include but not be limited to:
- Working with the farm manager on production plans, crop rotation, fertility management, pest and disease management, maintenance of farm space and equipment, compost development and much more.
- Managing the farm team and assisting in the hiring process for seasonal farm employees.
- Assisting in the operations of growing vegetables including seeding, transplanting, cultivation, irrigation, composting, bed preparation, harvesting , and processing of produce.
- Communication with company owner, client(s), farm market manager, and volunteers
- Managing harvest, washing, packing and processing of shares and set up of CSA pick up days
- Record keeping and data input throughout season
- Assisting with research and development in processes crop management and farm systems
- 2-3 years vegetable production, and/or horticultural experience with some management preferred.
- Ability to work with and report to Farm Manager to help facilitate plans and follow SOPs
- Must be able to lift and/or move 50+ lbs
- Farm and tractor equipment experience is preferred as well as the ability/willingness to learn to use equipment such as 2 wheel BCS tractor, skid steer, chainsaw, utility tractor, power tools.
- Strong communication skills, positive attitude and socially oriented
- Organized and ability to work without constant supervision, self-motivated
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and disciplined morals and personal ethics.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, this is a year round outdoor position.
- Long term interest in developing an agricultural career
Must possess a valid and current driver’s license
Starting $15-$17/ hr.
Seasonally adjusted hours
Lots and lots of vegetables
Please Send a cover letter, resume and 3 professional references to:
More information can be found here.