Organization: City of Cincinnati Office of Environment & Sustainability (OES) and Green Umbrella
About this position:
Brief Description: On behalf of the City of Cincinnati, Green Umbrella seeks to contract with a professional, technical writer or technical writing firm to lead the drafting of a cohesive, accessible, and convincing 2023 Green Cincinnati Plan (GCP).
Timeframe: November 2022 through April 2023
Hours Expected: Up to 400 hours
Hourly Wage Range: Negotiable depending on experience
Location: Preferably based in Cincinnati, Ohio, but location is flexible
Report to: OES Director
- Complete a comprehensive draft of the 2023 Green Cincinnati Plan. The plan should be approximately 100 pages in length, but could be longer, if needed to communicate the plan effectively
- Complete Executive Summary of the GCP
- Complete 1-2 page high-level overview primarily of the GCP outcomes (Goals, Strategies, Recommendations), will also be translated into Spanish
- Work with OES Director and staff, graphic designer, and Focus Area Team leadership to create high-quality, impactful publications and communication materials listed under deliverables.
- Familiarize with 2018 GCP plan and top plans from other municipalities and determine preferred voice and drafting approach for review and approval by OES Director.
- Review and provide feedback to OES Director and staff on the proposed GCP Content Outline.
- Work with OES Director and GCP Equity Committee to determine best means of communicating the equity framework and tools that are being developed by the Equity Subcommittee, including how they informed the development of strategies shown in each GCP chapter.
- Work with OES Director and staff to edit and refine previously written sections to align and unify the flow and voice of the overall document. These sections would include, but are not limited to: Table of Contents, Introduction, Challenges & Opportunities, Equity, Progress Thus Far, Measurements of future Progress, Process of Plan, Vision & Principles etc.).
- Synthesize information in all eight focus areas (Advocacy, Education and Outreach; Buildings & Energy; City Ops; Food; Mobility; Natural Environment; Resilience; Zero Waste) and write and edit content according to agreed-upon Focus Area Content outline and each Focus Area’s Theory of Change.
- Solidify which elements need to be represented graphically and work with graphic designer to accomplish, with draft design by November 30, 2022.
- Work with OES team and additional entities to gather required data to support Focus Area Content (ie carbon reduction impact, strength of alignment to equity framework, etc.) OES staff and experts will provide specific information, but there will be some work to gather that information.
- Work with graphic designer and OES to brand and incorporate designs into the final documents
- Coordinate translation of one pager into Spanish. Identify any additional languages for translation of one-pager and coordination execution of additional translation(s).
- Identify and include all documents needed for GCP Appendix.
- Proven technical writing and editing experience in a comparable role for at least 3-5 years.
- Ability to grasp complex, technical topics and make them understandable to a varied audience in a clear and concise manner.
- Clear capacity to work collaboratively across various types of professionals and skill sets to reach a common goal.
- Expert command of the English (American) language at native-speaking level.
- Meticulous eye for detail / accuracy and a commitment to the highest standards of quality.
- Strong project management skills with proven experience and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines.
- Affinity with OES and the Green Cincinnati Plan mission and objectives.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills and a well-developed cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Expert use of MS Office and Google Drive. Familiarity with integrating with design software, specifically Adobe InDesign.
To be provided by The City of Cincinnati and Green Umbrella to contractor:
- Relevant documentation regarding Theories of Change per plan focus areas
- Brand assets & guidelines for the City of Cincinnati, including all logo lockups and fonts
- Recruitment, hiring, and management of freelance graphic designer
- Names and contact information of Focus Area Leadership team members, assistance with initial meeting coordination
- Any supporting data and documentation required for inclusion in the plan
Submit resume, cover letter, and 2-3 examples of similar work products from your recent portfolio to Green Umbrella by no later than Friday, October 7, 2022, at 5:00PM. Submit all materials to the attention of Erin Rothfuss, email@example.com. Interviews will be held before the end of the October with the goal of an offer by early November.