Organization: Gorman Heritage Farm
Position: Senior Camp Counselor/Environmental Educator
Location: 10052 Reading Rd. Evendale, OH
Duration: May 31—August 13, 2021. All staff have OFF the week of July 4 - July 10.
Hours: 40 hours per week; 8:00am – 4:00pm M-F. (On aftercare day, hours will be 8:30-4:30pm.)
Compensation: $2,200 stipend (includes free lodging if needed)
Responsible to: Camp Coordinator, Education Coordinator & Director of Education
Purpose: Serves as lead counselor for groups of campers age 3-13 during farm-based summer day camp, organizing and executing planned camp activities, safely managing groups of children in a farm setting, and demonstrating leadership to Junior Counselors and Counselors-in-Training. Supports the mission, promotes membership and acts as an advocate for GHF.
● Guide a group of 6—11 campers safely around the farm, knowing the location of all of your campers during camp hours, and ensuring campers’ wellbeing
● Lead small and large group activities, supervising campers’ participation in activities, and being an active part of all activities (i.e. animal interactions, lunchtime games, farm animal chores, produce harvesting)
● Interact appropriately with and model professional behavior for campers and staff in a variety of situations using positive behavior-management techniques, including: enthusiasm, a positive attitude, patience, sensitivity, a sense of humor, and self-control
● Supervise, guide and mentor Junior Counselors (16-18 years old) and Counselors-in-Training (14-15 years old) within your camp group
● Work with other camp staff to complete morning set-up and afternoon clean-up of camp areas
● With junior counselor, work at least one day of camp aftercare each week, managing group of 10 campers.
● Attend all required, scheduled training and workshop sessions and camp staff meetings
Environmental Education Experience:
● Counselors will gain valuable experience in farm-based environmental education as a leader and planner of summer camps for children from a variety of backgrounds and ages (3—14 years). Counselors will also hone their public speaking skills while leading farm tours, and gain new skills while working in our gardens and with animals in our farmyard.
● Counselors will receive training and then guide campers through activities focused on daily farm and garden chores, farm animal care, hands-on nature exploration, farm ecology, cooking and food preparation, and camp favorites like songs, games, and crafts.
● Counselors will participate in workshops and projects with other counselors to gain a better understanding of life on a working farm, environmental education, and nature interpretation skills.
● Counselors will gain experience working in a cooperative, supportive, and educational working environment. They will also practice mentorship, leadership and management skills working with Junior Counselors (ages 16—18) and Counselors-in-Training (ages 14—15).
● Counselors will have the opportunity to work with our gardeners, farmers and volunteers to grow, harvest, and market produce using organic methods, as well as produce eggs and meat using family-scale methods.
● Counselors receive one full week of paid training. Camp Training Week is May 31th through June 4, 2021. This includes the Memorial Day holiday.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
● Applicants must be at least 19 years of age (required)
● Previous experience working with children or education, preferably in a day camp setting
● An ability to plan programs, be enthusiastic around children, conduct activities safely, and accept feedback
● An ability to work as a member of a team and also work independently, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, creativity, open-mindedness, and flexibility
● Demonstrated interest in environmental education, agriculture, sustainability, gardening, animal care, cooking, arts and crafts.
Online Application: https://form.jotform.com/73204630492148
Our application can also be found on our website: gormanfarm.org